Back from a slight hiatus, but only because writing everything I want to write about my sis’ b-day as a FB status would be way excessive (and because my body hates me and doesn’t want me to sleep before my last final). *dusts cobwebs off Tumblr dash*
Anyhooz, I have a little tradition on family birthdays where I try to think of a memory from every year of the birthday person’s life. Obviously, I don’t have anything for my parents before they were 30-ish, but I just pretend that they were off in Korea somewhere with terrible bowl cuts, wearing huge glasses, listening to disco and eating kimbab. I digress. Usually these memories are personal experiences that we shared, but sometimes, I go with some major public event
if I can’t think of anything. The only catch is that I can’t repeat memories from previous years. Whelp, here we go!
The 21 Years of Mindy Hobak Chung (bahahaha don’t kill me)
1) You turned 1! Happy 돌(잔치). You were probs wearing an adorable, little, munchkin-sized hanbok trying to figure out why the eff so many people were staring at you, taking pictures, and WHAT ARE THOSE GIANT MOUNDS OF 떡?!?! While I don’t have a picture of you on hand, I imagine you looked something like this, chubby cheeks and all.
2) You turned 2, I’m 4. You’re stealing all the attention and eating all the ice cream cake. You suck.
3) You turned 3, I’m 5. You’re stealing all the attention and eating all the ice cream cake. You suck. I hope I gave you my chicken pox.
4) You turned 4, I’m 6. We just moved to La Crescenta, and we’re sitting in our soon-to-be dining room, eating that purpley/blue 죽 stuff with candles because Glendale Power and Water sucks more than SDGE and forgot to turn our power on.
5) Remember how we’d bring up our bikes to the living room, flip them upside down and crank the pedals as fast as we could? Well, I think this might have been the year you got your hand stuck in the chain and ripped off a huge chunk of skin from your palm. Battle scars, like a boss.
6) This is probably right around the time someone tricked you into trading your really good Pokemon cards for her fake ones. Luckily you had me to rub that really dumb move in your face. Was I an awesome sister or what? (I mean, did you really think you’d get a Charizard for a Pidgey? Gurlll, you trippin)
7) Y2K was gonna happen and blow our computer up, so we just HAD to order that anti-virus package AOL was offering online… without telling mom. Oops.
8) All the improv dance/rhythmic gymnastics competitions in the driveway with the neighbors. We were fabulous. Like, strutting around to Backstreet Boys and ‘NSYNC while prancing around with basketballs and hula hoops kind of fabulous. Maybe not as fabulous as Olive from Little Miss Sunshine, but you get the idea.
9) You had the same 3rd grade teacher as me (Mrs. Jang FTW), who then went on to read Island of the Blue Dolphins to the class like she does every year. Too bad you’re such a book nerd that you’d already read it three times.
10) Same 4th grade teacher as me? It’s a conspiracy! But nicest lady, fo real. We may have acquired goldfish #10 at this point from Spring Spectacular. We were reaaaaally bad at keeping those alive. Except for that huge one with a tumor that wouldn’t die for years.
11) Moved to the new house, which means new school! You’re at Valley View dealing with stupid boys that won’t leave you alone
because they loooove you ;] Good thing you had me to scare ‘em ;] (Don’t mess with my sister if you like the way your face looks. I’m just sayin’)
12) I just had my very first band camp, we’re all at the parent performance, just did our field show… and then dragged ya’ll out to the field to march with us. You were probs all huffing and puffing. WHO SAID BAND ISN’T A SPORT?! ;]
13) Awkward middle school years.
14) More awkward middle school-ness
15) WELCOME TO HIGH SCHOOL AND THE CRESCENTA VALLEY MARCHING FALCONS!! (Thanks for letting me convince you to join color guard. We reaaaally needed those points at competitions ;])
16) Apparently, high school didn’t help your fashion choices…
17) Junior year = hell. We’ve all been there.
18) What happens at Prom Plus… gets posted on the interwebz ;] Also, it is my duty as the eldest to photobomb the only nice picture of you from graduation.
19) YOU LEFT ME TO GO TO COLLEGE IN PHILLY. FINE, I’MMA DITCH YOU AND JOIN THE ARMY. WHAT NOW?!?!
20) Somehow, you managed to get even weirder…
21) … TBD. But remember, what happens in Vegas… ;]
Happy birthday, kid :]